Tuesday, September 15, 2009

North! Or Be Eaten - a review

There is something amazing in turning the page of a book and not recognizing the phantastical creatures that appear not only in the written word, but the occasional well drawn excerpt from Pembrick’s Creaturepedia. Such is the story in Andrew Peterson’s North! Or Be Eaten the second book in the Wingfeather Saga. N!OBE (as it is affectionately known) picks up quite literally where we left the beloved jewels of Anneria at the end of On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness living with their Uncle Peet the Sock Man in his treehouse preparing with their mother Nia, and former pirate grandfather Podo, for a trip that will take them north to the Ice Prairies where the Fangs of Dang cannot follow.



While the first book On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness entertained me with its wit and quick paced movement, I found myself slowing down to capture every moment in this book. I am more invested in the Igiby family and wanted to savour their escape. It was Janner Igiby that I found myself drawn to as I read through the story. It seemed with every page you could see Janner growing into the protector of his family whether he wanted to be or not. It was often times in those moments of not wanting to be protector that he found himself most alone and out of control.



I confess I thought I knew how the book ended, but never was I more surprised when I got to the last ten chapters and knew that my plans would wait while with baited breath, tears of sorrow and joy, I found an end that was most unexpected.



I could tell you about the songs of the Sea Dragons, the stories that Podo, tells about Stranders and toothy cows, I could even tell you how Janner, Tink, and Leeli begin to believe they truly are the Jewels of Anneria; I could tell you all about those things, but Andrew Peterson does it so much better than I. So curl up any where you dare find, carve out a few hours and read: read about adventures and dangers unknown, read about creatures you have never even dreamed about, read about and remember how we (as much as the Wingfeather family) are created for so much more than we dare dream or imagine
.

No comments: